Today we went to Zilker Park and rode the train. It was so fun to get to do something with Michael that I can remember doing as a kid. Michael seemed to enjoy the train, he kept say "Oooooh". I noticed something very interesting about riding the train today. When you are riding the train you can wave or say hi to anyone you pass and they will smile, wave and say hi back. I found this very amusing, it's like riding the train is an instant icebreaker. It doesn't matter that we don't and probably will never even know each others' first names. It's just like "hey I'm riding a train!" and everyone responds "hey you're riding a train" and that's enough to brighten everyone's day. We also met up with one of David's friends from work and his boyfriend. I had never met either of them before but by the end of the day we left each other with hugs and plans for getting together again soon.

Later in the evening I took Michael with me shopping so David could study. I decided I wanted to go to Hobby Lobby and get an Easter basket for Michael that I seen earlier this week. So I pulled into the 1st spot parking space and got everything out and as I walked up to the door I realized they had just closed! Boo! Who closes at 8pm on a Saturday? So I packed everything back into the car and went to Target. (Please note this is the Super Target by my house and not the one I am employed at.) So I'm just walking around enjoying myself and I decide to try on some dresses. I leave the fitting room, load Michael back into the cart and walk into the infant department. In this Target the infant department is literally right in front of the fitting room. I bend down to look at the baby shoes and Michael starts fussing. I notice he has his arm between the bars on the back of the seat and I think he's reaching for something. But then I realize his arm is STUCK! I try to help him bring his arm back through the bars but he's starting to cry and is freaking out. So my blood pressure starts to rocket and all I can think is to call someone for help. I knew there was a woman working at the fitting room so I take Michael over there and ask her to call for help on her walkie. (In my head I'm like they're going to have to call the fire department to cut his arm out of this thing, and the reason I'm thinking that is because I've seen similar things happen.) Thankfully as the woman is calling for help some ladies who were in the fitting room came over to the cart and one of them starts trying to free Michael's arm. As she is calmly working she says "Oh he's just leaning too far forward and needs to put his arm down more to get it out". And then she pulls his arm free of the bars, it took her like 5 seconds. Right then a manager walked up and started asking me what happened and walked with me to the front to get some ice for his arm. Now I can't even remember if I thanked that lady for her help, but she was my hero tonight. So many times when I have had to help someone in a situation at work I think "Why are they so worked up, if they would calm down and think they could fix the situation". Tonight I totally went from cool collected to frantic Mommy in about 2 seconds. I'm so thankful for this stranger who heard me ask for help and came to my aid even though I was a stranger to her. Today I'm thankful for the strangers that made this such an interesting and great day, those who helped brighten my day by smiling back at us on the train, for new friends who took a chance meeting with strangers, and the stranger who may never know how much her help mattered to a scared newbie mom. Today I've decided that it doesn't really matter if we're strangers, because it doesn't have to stay that way.

i love strangers, i love having conversations with randoms in line, or a girl in the bathroom at Joe's Crabshack as I say, "Now I see why they provide the bibs" and she laughingly says, "Oh, I wore the bib, but my date had to tell me I had butter dripping down my face" haha, we both got a chuckle and the random kindness lifts the soul, even if for that short moment in time.... People have so much to offer one another, so many stories to share and touching experiences that are yet to be had. We just need to be more open and light hearted. Love you sissy!! Great post, it was very moving!! I love you!!!
ReplyDeleteI typically do not freak out when stuff like that happens unless it is serious. Of course, any time I think Michael is choking I start to worry and you are always so cool about it. I'm glad things work out and that our child still has both of his arms.
ReplyDelete