*A word of caution, this blog will contain spoilers about the movies I discuss. So if you want to see these movies and NOT know beforehand what's wrong with them don't continue reading.
So I started writing this post and decided that it was going to be like 10 pages long and therefore I am consolidating to a list format, with less details.
Okay so it's been about a year, maybe more since I've seen an honest to goodness really good movie. And by a good movie I mean a movie I would want to buy and watch repeatedly. Here's a list of the movies I can remember that I saw.
Baby Mama- they showed all the really funny stuff in the previews so there wasn't much to laugh at really.
7 Pounds- It was seriously one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. Basically he has decided to kill himself but wants to help as many people as he can by giving up his life. So he gives away his house, money and wills away parts of his body. In the process he falls in love with the woman he is going to physically give his heart to. Really? Could it get more depressing than that? Benjamin Button- I know everyone loved this movie- but I was so bored. Plus it was just weird and twisted and didn't make sense. He is born the size of a normal baby but shriveled and old. As he ages he gets bigger but looks old, and eventually looks his age and size, and then starts shrinking back to a baby? Too much for my logical mind to overlook. And really the sex scene when he is like 14?
Twilight- I am a HUGE fan of these books, I have read the complete series about 7 times. I knew that the movie would never live up to my expectations but I saw it anyway. So disappointing, I remember reading the book the first time and thinking that there was no option but for Edward and Bella to be together, they were the equivalent of oxygen to lungs for each other. But the movie left me feeling that their relationship wasn't that vital. At this point people started telling me that it was the hormones making me dislike these movies, but I still wouldn't watch them now so what does that say Although I must admit that I do own Twilight and watch it every once in a while just to see the characters- even if the make-up, lighting and acting is bad.
He's Just Not That Into You- I actually enjoyed this movie for the most part, except for the Drew Barrymore's character that not only supports but justifies Scarlett Johansson's character pursuing a relationship with a married man.
Harry Potter 6- I love the books and the movies but this movie made me so angry! How could they ruin such a great story and series that badly? They spent so much of the movie playing up character relationships and adding silly comments instead of going into the really important storyline of this book. SO MUCH of this book is vital in understanding the 7th book and they just left it out. They had the fight scene at the Burrow (not in the book), then set the Burrow on fire using Fiend Fire and then didn't explain what fiend fire is. So your left looking at these powerful wizards who apparently can't put a fire out. Not to mention fiend fire isn't even introduced until book 7. Then there is no big duel scene at the end of the movie, but the one in the book was awesome! There was no dialogue between Harry and Dumbledore about what the horocruxes may be. AND FINALLY NO FUNERAL FOR DUMBLEDORE! Why?! Dumbledore is like the most beloved character of this series, I bawled when he died in the book, not to mention his wand is supposed to be buried with him! Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! And this is the light version of everything I didn't like, I could go into more detail but I'll stop here.
Wolverine- I like action, I like X-men and Wolverine has always been one of my favorite characters but this movie didn't live up to the hype for me. It's supposed to be Wolverine's background but we get a brief scene of him being a child, killing his father and running away and then all the sudden we get a war montage of him older. But really what happened when he ran away, when did he stop aging, etc. If you are going to promise the background of a character be willing to forgo some of the action and actually put in the storyline. Also some characters were not the same as they were in the X-men movies.
Transformers 2- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PEOPLE! Nothing is more annoying than a sequel not being compatible with the original. Megatron was the leader in the first movie but now there's this other guy who's the real leader. And the crushing cold and darkness that was supposed to keep Megatron from coming back to life is apparently only effective if you are a damaged transformer, his little friends are able to go and get him without any difficulty. Lots of stupid lines and at least 10 references (visual and verbal) to male private parts. The dialogue was seriously written by/for 15 year old boys.
The Invention of Lying- Once again all the funny stuff was on the previews. The whole opening conversation of this movies was inappropriate and stupid. In the movie the inability to lie apparently makes you blurt out every thought that pops in your head. I don't understand this. Then the movie goes into making fun of religion - he can lie therefore he makes up God and God's rules to get what he wants. Since they can't lie they take everything he says as truth.
I just want to spend my money on a movie worth watching, not one where I'm thinking well if it weren't for this or that I would like this movie. I'm tired of wasting my money watching stuff in theater and and walking out completely disappointed. I have decided from now on that unless it is an action movie that will be better on the big screen or a movie that I can't wait to see, I will wait and rent it for a dollar out of one of those movie vending machines. $20 is just too much to waste.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Star Trek comes out on DVD. It's a shame I was unable to convince you to see it on IMAX. It is brilliant and you will love it once yoy see it, fan or not. I like this entry because as I read it I sat here thinking, "Yea, that's right. I agree. Indeed. Yes" Nice reviews, Love.
ReplyDelete